A little bit of greenery in the deco of a home can go a long way. Plants have been designers' go-to props since the first house was even rendered out. But what if there was more to plants than what meets the eye?
Even some weeds can actually help our air be cleaner and improve our quality of life by removing toxic gases like ammonia, benzene, formaldehyde, and xylene from trapped indoor air. American space researchers N.A.S.A have used plants in their spaceships for decades, making the most of their air purifying properties in closed environments. And if it is good enough of N.A.S.A, it is certainly good enough for us.
Read on as our in-house horticulturist, Peter Cartwright from Urban Growth shares the top 10 plants to keep at home and purify the air, that you can find in markets across the UK right now.
1. Spider Plant (Chlorophyrum comosum variegatum)
2. English Ivy ( Hedera Helix)
3. Snake Plant (Yanseveira Irifasciula)
4. Dragon Tree (Dracaena marginala)
5. Cheese Plant (Monsterra deliciosa)
6. Kenita Palm (Howea Fortsteviana)
7. Cowboy Cactus (Euphorbia ingens)
8. Aloe Vera
9. Rubber Plant (Ficas elastica)
10. Space Lily (Spalhiphyglam kochi)
Peter explains how these almost-magical organisms are proven to reduce stress and fatigue and help lower the levels of carbon dioxide in the home, so, we have given it a go. We have scattered some of these beautiful flora around the studio and shop floor on Columbia road, and we are feeling refreshed already. will you try these at home?